Here are my articles and thoughts on game design. They’re not specifically for RPG Maker, even though most of them are aimed at that audience. Most of these articles will have something useful for people working on games in all sorts of genres.
I add new articles whenever I have some free time to write. Keep up to date with this page or like fbb on Facebook.
- Story Structure in Game Design
- I Want to Write Good Characters
- Making Memorable NPCs
- RPG Skills: What You’re Doing Wrong
- Your Fantasy Setting: Economy
- Enemy Encounters: What You’re Doing Wrong
- Fuck Your Features: The Downside of Complexity in RPGs
- Your Game’s Identity
- Puzzle Design 1: RPG Puzzle Types
- Puzzle Design 2: Moving Parts
- Player Psychographics
- Writing Relationships: Romance
- Difficulty: Challenge vs Frustration
- Managing Resources Part One
- Managing Resources Part Two
- A look at Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
If you have an idea or question that would make for a good article, send me a message and let me know.